Port Chester Firefighters: Attic Fire Damages Locust Avenue Home; Safety …

An overheated electrical cord is suspected as the cause of a fire in an attic apartment in a multi-family residence on Locust Avenue, according to the Port Chester Fire Department.

While the fire was determined to be an accident, firefighters said there were numerous safety violations found, including the lack of working smoke detectors in the attic apartment. The problems were referred to the Port Chester Village Building Department and Code Enforcement for further investigation.

The 12:11 a.m. Sunday fire at 530 Locust Ave. was put out quickly, according to Fire Chief Kevin McFadden. The blaze damaged the attic apartment and water from the firefighting effort damaged the floors below. No one was injured.

Like us on Facebook  |  Follow us on Twitter  |  Sign up for our newsletter

Port Chester police officers evacuated the building and 35 Port Chester firefighters went to the residence, using a ladder truck, the rescue unit and four pumpers. Another company was one standby in case they were needed.

More Safety Info:

  1. Ocean City firefighters offer home safety checks
  2. Firefighters drive home safety message at school
  3. Conn. Fire Inspires Kids’ Home Safety Business Idea
  4. Home Depot hosts fire safety day in Vernon Hills
  5. Insurance Institute For Business and Home Safety Pushing For Residential Fire …

 

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.