PHOENIX – Plan on having a few drinks this Labor Day?
“Don’t drink and drive”, warns Jenn Godbeher of MADD, Mother’s Against Drunk Driving. She stopped by ABC15 Mornings along with Mike DiPatri. DiPatri’s son, Stephen, was killed by a drunk driver.
Their advice… plan ahead. If you know you are going to drink, make a plan for a ride home before you ever go out. If you don’t, you are less likely to be responsible later and hand your keys over to a sober person.
AAA Arizona is taking the labor out of finding a safe ride home with its “Tipsy Tow” service.
To keep people safe this final summer holiday, the auto club is offering the service starting at 6 p.m. Sunday and running through 6 a.m. Monday.
To take advantage of Tipsy Tow, drivers, passengers, party hosts, bartenders and/or restaurant managers should:
- Call 1-800-AAA-HELP (1-800-222-4357) between 6 p.m. September 2 and 6 a.m. September 3
- State that they need a “Tipsy Tow”
- Provide the driver’s name, home address, phone number and vehicle/driver location
Tipsy Tow provides a one-way ride for the driver, one passenger and their vehicle at no cost up to 10 miles.
Services will not be provided to motorists requesting a tow to another drinking establishment or another destination other than their home.
A tow to a hotel may be allowed if the motorist is a guest or plans to become one.
For trips longer than 10 miles, motorists will be charged the towing company’s standard rate.
More than 25,000 DUI arrests were made in Arizona in 2011, according to the Arizona Governor’s Office of Highway Safety. AAA estimates that a first-time DUI conviction can cost a motorist more than $10,000 in fines, penalties, legal fees and increased insurance costs.
Copyright 2012 Scripps Media, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
More Safety Info:
- Comcast launches home security service in Utah
- Best Home Safe – Why Have A Home Safe?
- Large Electronic Digital Safe for Gun or Jewelry Home Safe 1.8 CF
- New York City Gives Free Taxi, Livery, and Transit Rides Home For Safe …
- Have a safe and sound home in seven days