Meat processing company Mekeni Food Corp. received a world-class certification for food safety management as the company plans expansion at home and abroad.
The firm’s hotdog processing plant in Porac, Pampanga became the first in the country to be awarded food safety system certification or FSSC 22000.
The certification, recognized by benchmarking organization Global Food Safety Initiative, allows the company to use the FSSC 22000 standard to meet the requirements of global retailers and major branded food companies under one, internationally-recognized food safety management system.
Mekeni Food president Prudencio Garcia said the company continued to search for improvement and surpass previous achievements. He credited the company’s team for the success of the business and for achieving a world-class certification that was expected to boost the company’s expansion plans.
“Instead of sending Filipinos outside [of the country], we’ll send our products outside,” he said.
Mekeni Food, during the recent awarding of food safety certification, unveiled its newest tagline “Masarap na, world-class pa!” which sets its vision in exporting Mekeni products around the world.
SGS Philippines managing director Rosario Cajucom-Bradbury said the FSSC award received by Mekeni was even higher than its previous certification under ISO 22000, otherwise known as food safety management system.
The company made history in 2006 when it was conferred with the ISO 22000, a first in the Philippines and in Asia, and second in the world.
Bradbury confirmed that Mekeni Food was the first company to be awarded the FSSC 22000 certification in the meat processing industry particularly in the hotdog category.
The Agriculture Department congratulated Mekeni for its leadership in food safety and quality and for upgrading the quality level of Filipino products in the global market.
Readers of this story also viewed:
- PAL bucks Emirates’ expansion to Manila
- Q4 loans to keep growing — BSP poll
- Ayala Land increases capex target to P70b
- Pepsi’s profit soars 208% to P696m
- Mindanao power outage eases
- Market index may surpass 5,500 points
- RCBC’s net profit increases 17% to P4.8b
- Trans-Asia eyes 200-MW market under open access regime
- Manila Standard Today — Business Weekly Stock Review (November 5-9, 2012)
- Century sees strong sales
More Safety Info:
- Albemarle Food Safety business launches new antimicrobial product
- Food Safety Professionals Play Essential Role in Protecting Consumers
- Beijing toughens food safety rules
- CHINA: Food safety foremost on civilian minds – Press
- Business owner: Safety 1st: JDM Safety Training Services opens in downtown …